7.08.2008

Foreclosure of a literary classic

Or Arsenic killed Emma, the economy revived her.

Having recently finished reading Madame Bovary finally after starting it two years ago, I was semi-inspired to write an article about it. Sadly, I suppose I wasn't inspired enough, and I deleted it. Sentimental Education is better in my opinion. I dunno, just something I liked better I suppose. Though the end, with the debt collecting, and the downward spiral, it piqued my interest. And that was going to be the target of the article. I was reminded of the spiraling out of control of debt in our nation (with the federal gov't leading the way with a huge debt and deficit). People buying things they can't afford because they want them, using credit, and unable to pay once credit comes to collect. Perhaps it's just to say people should be more wise about their purchases. Or I suppose, we could make Emma a hero, and say the way to solve this problem is to take arsenic, and leave the debt to the rest of the family to take care of.

Well, the original article just fell apart, and I sense this one doing that too. Not being in school, therefore not writing this as a scholarly paper, and not even writing this itself seriously, I'm just not gonna invest time into organizing a paper, which I'm sensing will be very long.

So, I'll just leave you with those thoughts.

-- Knuttel
Remembering the day we floated away.

No comments: