1.26.2011

Extolling the Virtues of All Fiction

Sometimes I wonder why, in the literary world, science fiction and fantasy are often entirely ignored.  Some of the most important literary works are forebearers of the genres, if not the genres themselves -- Frankenstein IS about the effects of reanimating a piecemeal corpse, Dracula IS about vampires, 1984, Animal Farm, Faust, Dorian Gray, I mean the list goes on.

Fiction to me is comprised of two worlds, two possibilites -- that which has not happened, and that which can not happen.

And yes, I will admit that much of the works in Science Fiction are derivative and/or cliche, but can't the same be said for regular fiction?  The basic rule of thumb is 90% of EVERYTHING is crap, no exceptions -- 90% of my posts are probably crap.

"Oh, but we can't possibly take anything seriously about anything with elves, dragons, or spaceships"

Oh, well I can't possibly take anything seriously about how difficult it is to be European upper class, but then I'd have to ignore War and Peace.  You see, it can't be done.

"Oh, but Foundation is just about smart people trying to outsmart each other ... in space."  Aside from space, how is that different from Othello or Much Ado About Nothing?

Maybe I should clarify my argument -- I am not defending science fiction or fantasy, per se, but I am saying that genre is not equal to quality.  I think it's ridiculous that in order for a fantasy work to be taken seriously, it must be called "magic realism," or for a science fiction work to be taken seriously, it must be called "speculative fiction."  Every genre has its merits, and to ignore them entirely, or let them in on technicalities and exceptions, is pompous, arrogant, snobbish, and ignorant.

-- Knuttel

No comments: