5.23.2012

Salsa Over The Years

As I perhaps have made it known, I have been creating mine own salsas for quite some time -- definitely longer than I have been creating mine own brews and cheeses.  So I'm going to post my last recipe, as a comparison to the first recipe I posted (and the nickelback salsa I saw I posted, cos it's salsa for people who don't like salsa, like nickelback produces music for people who don't enjoy music).  I should probably note that most of my salsas make use of the peppers I grow in my garden, and it is definitely way too early for them to have come in yet.

2 poblano peppers
6 green bell peppers
10 small vine ripened tomatoes
1 onion
8 cloves garlic
1 can tomato paste
lime juice
basil, thyme, rosemary
chili powder (mild), cayenne pepper powder, cumin, salt, pepper
olive oil

Cut peppers into panels.  Roast/broil at 500 F with tomatoes.  Burning is fine within reason, the primary goal is to remove the skins, the secondary goal is to enhance the flavor.  If you don't cook it long enough, neither happens, if you do it too long, there is nothing to separate and the flavor is burnt.

Dice onions and garlic.  Put them aside in their own bowl.

Get an ice bowl ready to put all of the peppers and tomatoes in.  When they cool, pull the skins off, dice the peppers, and cut the tomatoes into as small pieces as possible (they should start to disintegrate though).  Put all of this in its own bowl (advise cutting the tomatoes inside the dish to retain all of the juices).

Coat the bottom of a pot with olive oil and begin to heat it up.  Add the spices and mix in, it should noticeably change the color to an orange/red.

When the oil is heated up enough, add the onions and peppers.  It should sizzle a little bit, and the oil may splash up.  Cook until soft.  This is the base from which the salsa is created.  Keep stirring to avoid burning.

Add the tomato and pepper mixture.  Add the herbs.  Mix thoroughly.  Add the lime juice.  Mix thoroughly.  Add the tomato paste. Mix thoroughly.

Keep stirring every few minutes until it starts bubbling.  Lower the heat and let it simmer for about half an hour.

Pour it out and let it cool.


-- end result, it was kinda mild by my standards, but still had some good flavor depth to it (much better than the nickelback salsa).  The process is similar to what I've done the past few batches though.

So what has changed of my process?  Well ingredients will always shift to what I have.  Once I attempted to make a salsa using sweet potatoes and butternut squash because there weren't any good tomatoes in season (it was November).  Cayenne pepper powder and that lime flavored Mexican chili powder have remained staples of the spicing.  I have stopped growing thai basil because it is annoying to maintain (and almost gave up on regular basil for this year).  My peppers aren't in yet, and neither are any sort of local tomato.

I no longer use a food processor or blender.  Firstly, I like the texture of hand cut everything better (and yes, it takes so much longer, but it is so worth it).  If you cook it well enough, the odd large piece isn't a huge factor.  Secondly our blender burnt out, so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

I let it simmer for shorter, keep it unlidded, and get it hotter faster.  I have various reasons for all of these, but basically I found letting it sit that long on the stove just made it far far more likely to burn and didn't really add any measurable flavor depth.  There isn't any isomerization going on there.

Balance wise, I lean towards the pepper side nowadays, whereas early incarnations where more tomato based.  In fact some early ones were compared to spicy tomato sauces (my love of basil doesn't help here).

I think I've become better at broiling the vegetables now too.  Cutting them into panels gives a more complete and even burn, and I have a better idea of how long it all takes.  Also, broiling Cayenne peppers is a bad idea, they are just too small.  You'd have to do them completely separate or put them on the fringe or something.  Sometimes I add them to the onion/garlic mix to get some more heat on the base.

-- Knuttel

6 comments:

Ryan the Girl said...

Ahahahaha, "Nickelback Salsa" nearly made me spit out a mouthful of water from laughing. Love it.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/trazodone-buy]purchase desyrel 100 mg
[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ciproxin.webs.com/]buy cipro[/url] ciprofloxacin buy online uk
cipro hc buy
ciprofloxacin buy

Anonymous said...

[url=http://casodex-bicalutamide.webs.com/]bicalutamide prostate cancer
[/url] Binabic
buy Bicalutamide
cheannach Bicalutamide

Anonymous said...

[url=http://cyclosporine.webs.com]ordering Sandimmun Neoral online
[/url] buy Sandimmun online
neoral generic
neoral ervaringen

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.microgiving.com/profile/ribavirin]ribavirin online
[/url] virazole buy online
buy rebetol online
purchase ribavirin online