9.02.2008

Degrassi - 90210

Having watched a portion of the 90210 premiere -- it is 2 hours you know, I'm not gonna watch the whole thing -- I can safely say one thing.

That one thing is really something that anyone who has seen the last season of Degrassi would already know. Bringing up a modern relation between the two revivals points immediately to one person -- Shenae Grimes.

The fact -- yeah, she can act. Well, this is true at least in the respect of teen dramas.

Now, I kinda want to see her thrown into an entirely different role, see if she'll sink or swim. Personally, I think she can do it. Personally, I don't see 90210 lasting very long beyond this season.

So now the Degrassi comparisons begin, as they are inevitable. The comparisons were there when both the originals begun in the late 1980's ("Degrassi Junior High" and "Beverly Hills 90210").

The reason I still prefer Degrassi to 90210 is simple, and really shows the difference between the originals as well. 90210 is too polished. Degrassi is raw and real.

To put it simply -- production values alone do not dictate success or quality. If they did, Waterworld may have been remembered as one of the greatest films of all time.

Degrassi attempts to portray much more realist situations, deal with them more realistically, and have more realistic characters and atmospheres. (If you didn't get the idea, the common theme is realism).

90210 is a much glossier world, with "prettier" problems. In short, it is really a world that I can't relate to in any way, oddly enough despite the fact that 90210 is at least set in the same country as I (Degrassi being set in Riverdale, Toronto). In addition, there are already current teen dramas with that glossy setting -- "Gossip Girl" and "Greek". Again, shows I don't watch, unable to relate entirely.

In any case, I do wish her the best. I may periodically watch the show from time to time to see what the actress who once played Darcy is doing. I also wonder if she was entirely written off Degrassi, or if she'll have a smaller role. I'm aware from promos that Darcy's sister, Clare, will be attending Degrassi this season, but I'm more unaware of what Darcy herself will be doing.

Btdub, I was partially distracted from 90210, as I was simultaneously watching the Phils/Nats game. Cole Hamels pitching pretty well, though it is the Nats. I do like to remind myself I have testicles, and take a break from Degrassi.

PS, does anyone know how one becomes a writer for Degrassi, seriously that would be a dream job for me. I have a wealth of knowledge (encyclopedic really) on the show, and I am quite a writer. So, I dunno, perhaps someone can pass word to Schuyler that the Knuttel would be an awesome addition to the writing staff of Degrassi, much obliged. (Also the fact that Emma will be attending Smithdale as a Political Science Major, and I am a recent graduate of Political Science (and English)).

No comments: