3.01.2011

What's the Deal With Airline Peanuts?

Man, that joke is so outdated.  They would never serve those nowadays, the anti-peanut contingent is too strong.  God they control waaay too much.  Why can't we all just admit what we all want -- peanuts are delicious in any way, shape, or form.  Besides, pretzels and peanuts both make on equally thirsty.  Anyone remember the Seinfeld line "These pretzels are making me thirsty?"  Maybe that's what they're really trying to accomplish.  By getting one thirsty, they make one reliant upon the refreshment cart, where they can begin pushing charged items upon the passengers.

And so we sit, legs restrained, depraved of even our basic right to peanuts.

Thus, it is important to extol the virtues of the train, and why true high speed rail should be constructed.

My journey was to Phoenix, the largest metropolitan area in the country without a train station.  Even if I had wanted to train it all the way to Phoenix, traveling from the East coast, the journey would take probably 2 days of straight travel, not counting layovers.

As of now there is a high speed rail going up the east coast -- Accella, but everything is so dense it rarely gets up to full speed.  Traveling once by train to Chicago, I was on a regular speed train between there and Washington, DC.

Even if Airlines were made to be more comfortable than trains, there is still the issue of fuel.  Airplanes require a shitton of fuel to run.  Trains take comparatively none.  Not to mention, think of the infrastructure of having a comprehensive track system.

Whatever, I think I'm getting way off point.  Maybe I was just pissed that I didn't have any leg room cos I had to put my carry on bag underneath the seat in front of me on the way back because EVERYONE carries full luggage as a carry on because they nickel and dime you for everything, most notably checked baggage.

-- Knuttel

No comments: