3.07.2010

Knuttel Watches The Academy Awards On An Hour Or Two Tape Delay

Sometimes I question why I do things. Sometimes, whatevs.

So why am I watching these awards if I have been such an outspoken critic of them and their relevance? Simple. It's such a large exercise in auto-fellation, that you just sit on the edge of your seat, waiting for that moment when something goes wrong, metaphorically when either that one muscle gets pulled, or if one flinches and bites. That is why.

That being said, I really don't care about who wins or any of that. I want to see just how self-indulgent these proceedings happen to be.

I know they expanded the "Best picture" award to 10 movies to try and incorporate more of the mainstream blockbuster movies.

But that's not the awards I know or want to see. I want to see the complete lack of shame or self awareness that caused them to expand the field to 10 pictures.

Will they be snorting the bones of third world orphans? One can hope.

Will any "genre" films get any of the big awards? Hah. The only genre that ever gets any of the big awards is the oscar bait genre itself. (Yes, it is its own genre).

And what's with all this genre bullshit anyways? And really you can't pin this on me for making a big deal about genre shit. They should've gotten their due as it arises. But no. Whatevs. Shits in the past, can't be changed, and it likely won't get resolved in the future.

I always go by this guideline -- 90% of everything (musically, literary, cinematically) is shit. 90% of drama, 90% of comedy, 90% of sci fi, 90% of metal, 90% of jazz, 90% of rap, 90% of romance, etc and so on. You get the picture.

So why are these mediocre movies getting all the pub and awards, when Star Trek doesn't even get nominated for best adapted screenplay?

Whatevs. I'll watch my movies, academy, and you can return to your ivory tower of neckbeard academia.

-- Knuttel

P.S. Best ever Movie Song. Doubt it was nominated.

No comments: