2.15.2011

Fwah?

Iowa population shifts from rural to urban - USATODAY.com

So, this article totally threw me for a loop.  When I think Iowa, and I do not think I am alone, I think flat ass farms and junk.

Lemme share a few facts.

The tallest point in Iowa is on a hill only like a mile or so from the Minnesota border.

I once had the pleasure of meeting people from Iowa (who had just attended the game against Penn State) who told me the most fun thing to do in Iowa was go to Corn Palace.  I looked it up when I returned home, Corn Palace is in South Dakota.  Let me rephrase that, the most fun thing to do in Iowa is to leave Iowa.

That'll do.

So where are these people going in Iowa?  Des Moines?  Cedar Rapids?  Dubuque?  Iowa City?  Sioux City?  None of these places are extraordinarily big.  Geographically it doesn't seem to make much sense as much else besides a series of farms.  It's pretty far upstream on the Mississippi river.  It isn't really close enough to Chicago to be a part of that Great Lakes Sphere, at least as a major member.  It's separated by the Rocky Mountain states by a layer of more Great Plains states.  I mean, what could possibly be happenning in Iowa?

-- Knuttel

No comments: