2.09.2011

Knuttel Makes Beer: Day Bottling

Yes, so as the title indicates, I have bottled the beer I have been making.

To bottle, on adds the brewed contents into a bottle along with some sort of priming sugar.  What I was following recommended regular white sugar, though some prefer corn syrup, as it gets metabolized by the remaining yeast quicker without changing the flavor as much.  Other options can include anything that has some sort of sugar in it: brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, honey, etc.

For one batch, I used the recommended white sugar.  For the other batch, I used skittles.

Yes, skittles.  You see, the story goes a long ways back, and it's probably not even really worth repeating at this moment, but damnit, I was determined to make some skittlebrau.  I had to leave them uncrushed, as an attempt at crushing them in a sandwich bag with a food hammer left a broken sandwich bag, not crushed skittles.  Upon trying the same thing with no holding container, skittle pieces flew everywhere; the skittles went into the beer whole.

I'm already looking forward to my next batch, where I will likely make "real" beer.

-- Knuttel

No comments: